Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Kindred Spirits | Light | Life | Public Relations

This is not meant to be a cryptic post but it is going to seem like it is because I am going to allow my thoughts to flow today.

Contrary to popular belief, the role of a comms manager is not a bed of roses. Comms/ PR or whatever you know and understand of my profession is not about looking good and shaking hands. It is a job that requires professionals with resilience to deal with things and situations at all levels; from high (strategic) to mid (task and execution) to low (getting your hands dirty to get something done - this includes crawling on all fours). Coming from a country that is big on education, I feel that it is important for this to be a preamble.

After going through a bizarre two months, I got to talking about the phrase, "surrounded yet alone" with my girlfriend today. Anything that you could imagine that could cross my life took place in the last two months. Without going into more detail, I will zoom in on this week, which consists of:-
1) system crashing when typing in Chinese
2) dealing with clueless and strange people (if you factor in egos, it's double the pain)
3) meeting tight deadlines
4) vertigo (the non-blonde way of saying "*faintz*")
5) last minute concalls

It's tough and I find it hard to explain to people, even to my very patient lunch partners about what I have to deal with. But then again, every job has its challenges :)

I took a train home with my gal pal today, after having to ignore my gal pals for an hour due to a concall that I got to know about at the eleventh hour, I had to explain what transpired in the last few weeks. When I got off at my regular train stop, it was raining cats and dogs. So, instead of taking my regular solitary walk, I meandered to the cab queue and waited. I patiently waited... and after three cabs passed and being in the queue for a good half an hour, I decided to start a conversation with the girl next in line.

My opening:-

"Hi, are you staying in the East? If so, we should consider sharing a cab since they are taking a loooooooong time to arrive"

she said, "yes. I am staying at xxxx"

which is the condo opposite mine.

so we got to talking. She thought that I was in law (I was in my signature black) and I thought the same of her and we happen to be the same age and in the same profession (and situation), managing the same region. *very bizarre*

So for the next half an hour, we shared work woes, industry sentiments and for the first time in eight weeks, I realised that I am not alone!

Perhaps it is God's way of telling me that He is beside me every step of the way but I was almost in tears when we both agreed that the best five minutes of a work day are the five minutes spent writing on and sealing an envelope because it is so brainless.

I thank God that I have a community and even though I may not meet them at work, at least I meet my comrades in taxi queues.

So yes, I now have a neighbour who jogs the same route (though she has much more stamina), who has common friends with me, grew up in the same neighbourhood in the Eastern side of Singapore with me and is able to share my work woes.

Like me, Like me.

What a great way to seal the mid-week.

No comments: